Advice - paint maintenance

Questions relating to buying or owning a property. Moving to Menorca Sub-forum: moving to, or living and working on Menorca
pc.hc@tesco.net
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Advice - paint maintenance

Post by pc.hc@tesco.net » July 25th, 2020, 3:33 pm

Advice please - made it too Menorca and so thankful to see our little house again. However we have lost large sheets of textured paint off the rear patio. Is this easy to fix? If so advice for reapplying. Thanks 😊

kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Re: Advice - paint maintenance

Post by kieronf » July 25th, 2020, 4:59 pm

I've never seen masonry primer but I'm sure its available in bernat petrus or similar. Otherwise its back to using a wire brush to stabilise the surface then slapping on Titan exterior.

Keefyd
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by Keefyd » July 28th, 2020, 4:38 pm

My friends had similar issue with their villa in Binibeca and a builder recommended they use tile paint to prime the surface, before repainting, they’ve never had an issue with it since.
Lover of everything Menorcan. :jozza:

pc.hc@tesco.net
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by pc.hc@tesco.net » July 28th, 2020, 5:09 pm

I’ve included some photo’s. It seems quite thick?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tigipaul
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Tigipaul » July 28th, 2020, 5:53 pm

Hello PC Tesco .
It looks like to me there is a certain amount of dampness there that could be a cause of the problem ,although not a a great problem but needs to be rectified ,!.
My advice is to give it a good scrape down , remove all loose and powdery surface and brush down .
A masonry primer sealer should be applied and left to dry .
In the photos it definitely looks like a textured coating /paint ,so obtain some of that from the local builders merchants,they should have some /or a decorating centre ( someone else will let you know best place .…... Shuggie!! )..
Also when it does rain have a look to see if the water collects in that area either on the tiled floor area ,or it could be collecting on top of the wall around that point and falling from there and splashing back up the wall making it damper than necessary.
Also , does that wall face Northerly direction ?.

I'll stop sprouting off now 🤭 and let you get on 😁..
Paul

Shuggie
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by Shuggie » July 28th, 2020, 6:16 pm

This is what you need. Done this process loads of times and it just works. Strip the old paint off with a scraper and or jet washer. If its mouldy spray with bleach. Let that dry and then dilute the stuff below with water as per the instructions. Paint the diluted mixture onto the surface with a brush or roller. Apply 2 or 3 coats and let it dry and then start to repaint. First coat should be well diluted paint, about 50/50 with water (only use Titan Professional). Second and third coat dilute to approx 80/20. Three coats in total should do the job. Fijador is the name of the product and is basically a stabilising solution. It’s widely available in all diy/paint stores. Go to Caules on the Mahon poligono and you’ll get everything you need in one place.
C9EE939A-0624-4356-9BFA-E64356996C66.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to be in God's waiting room, beer in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

pc.hc@tesco.net
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by pc.hc@tesco.net » July 28th, 2020, 7:45 pm

Thanks everyone, really helpful