Tourist Licence,renting properties

Questions relating to buying or owning a property. Moving to Menorca Sub-forum: moving to, or living and working on Menorca
Keefyd
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Re: Tourist Licence,renting properties

Post by Keefyd » September 13th, 2020, 10:28 am

Keefyd wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 9:03 pm
Has anyone seen or heard any news on when the revised Island Territorial Plan is likely to be agreed or even debated..
Been waiting 3 years now for a tourist licence.
I’ve seen an article that the Consul are spending a million euros on improvements to mitigate the loss of Thomas Cook, which basically involves putting some tarmac down. I think it’s very short sighted of them to think that will bring tourists to the island, when so many properties can no longer rent as they are unable to obtain licenses due to unsurmountable levels of bureaucracy.
Lover of everything Menorcan. :jozza:

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Slartibartfast » September 13th, 2020, 3:56 pm

But you're not a hotel owner... You have to think about all the unsold rooms if they allowed the common person to rent out their property :roll:
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by kieronf » September 13th, 2020, 4:54 pm

In times like this the govt will inevitably fund measures that enhance the visitor experience and will prioritise enticing hotel guests to the island rather than give consideration to villa owners for the simple reason that occupied hotels provide more jobs than a rented villa or apartment.

Keefyd
4 Star Supporter
4 Star Supporter

Post by Keefyd » September 15th, 2020, 12:26 pm

The irony of the situation is in Cala en Porter, there are far more beds in apartments, than there are in hotels!

The reason I can’t get a licence at the moment, is because I am on a complex, that has a global licence, from the days when all the apartments were owned by the commercial Company, but some have since been sold off privately.
We have to wait for a new law to be passed, to release us from the global licence and we will them be able to get our own licences.
I don’t know what the law is, but I’d be interested to find out, not sure if it’s the Territorial Plan, which is due to be finalised by the current Consul, by the end of this year according to below article:

https://www.menorca.info/menorca/local/ ... e-ano.html

I’d appreciate it, if anyone has any more detail or is facing the same issue?
Lover of everything Menorcan. :jozza:

kieronf
6 Star Supporter
6 Star  Supporter

Post by kieronf » September 15th, 2020, 8:39 pm

Keefyd wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 12:26 pm
The irony of the situation is in Cala en Porter, there are far more beds in apartments, than there are in hotels!

The reason I can’t get a licence at the moment, is because I am on a complex, that has a global licence, from the days when all the apartments were owned by the commercial Company, but some have since been sold off privately.
We have to wait for a new law to be passed, to release us from the global licence and we will them be able to get our own licences.
I don’t know what the law is, but I’d be interested to find out, not sure if it’s the Territorial Plan, which is due to be finalised by the current Consul, by the end of this year according to below article:

https://www.menorca.info/menorca/local/ ... e-ano.html

I’d appreciate it, if anyone has any more detail or is facing the same issue?
There are several well regarded solicitors on the island who might be better placed to give you factual advice.