Unprecedented number of properties for sale

Questions relating to buying or owning a property. Moving to Menorca Sub-forum: moving to, or living and working on Menorca
Rickse28
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Unprecedented number of properties for sale

Post by Rickse28 » April 1st, 2020, 9:01 pm

Hi all,
I was looking at the Idealista property comprar/alquilar website, dreaming of what I might live in when all this world drama is over... I had remembered a tip by one of you guys, that if a property has not been sold quickly it would be worth a try to contact the owner and suggest renting it for a year or so.
So I went to the website, inputted 'everything' for sale and was horrified to see nearly 3,000 properties on the market. I narrowed it down to 'casas o chalets' and 'casas rusticas' with more than 'dos banos' and still saw over 1,400 properties for sale.
I am horrified - are these overseas owners who have seen the writing on the wall for international travel?

Slartibartfast
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Unprecedented number of properties for sale

Post by Slartibartfast » April 2nd, 2020, 6:55 pm

That could be the case, I have wondered if we will still have the same freedoms or will be able to afford to travel as much when/if this situation is ever under control.
I claim no responsibility for the following disclaimer.
All opinions are my wife's; I have none. (In my opinion.)

beachstroller
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by beachstroller » June 10th, 2020, 4:12 pm

There are always many factors, some less sinister like old age and childern that cannot afford/want to take on parents properties, The difficulty of tourist licenses and dont forget some may have bought properties within last 10 years with hefty mortgagees ( UK house equity drove a lot of prices up )

Sunseaker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sunseaker » June 10th, 2020, 5:28 pm

The last property we rented in Menorca was for two years, could have been longer but we were returning to live back in the UK, we rented from an English couple who had the villa for sale but took it off when we rented it, they wanted double what we were prepared to pay, and in the end we rented it for half of what they originally were asking.
I only let him think he's in charge.

beachstroller
5 Star Supporter
5 Star Supporter

Post by beachstroller » June 12th, 2020, 9:39 am

The tip is very sensible as many owners would like to hold onto a property if costs were covered. Again those without a Mortgage are in a position to offer lower long term rentals, especilally to trustworthy tennants( less complete strangers/'known entities' like Rose etc ) . The Spanish Tenancy laws put a LOT of people off from renting out their property long term - hence the shortages ( government policy is poor )